Stockwell Garage made an impact on post-war architecture and engineering history.
Stockwell Bus Garage opened in April 1952 and at the time of construction it was Europe's largest unsupported roof span. The garage provides 73,350 sq ft (6,814m2) of unobstructed parking space and could originally house 200 buses, required at a time when the last trams were being replaced by buses.
Since 1988, the garage has been a Grade II* listed building, reflecting its importance in post-war architectural and engineering history.
During the privatisation of London bus services it was included in the sale of London General to the Go‑Ahead Group.